close your mind-tracks and leave fantastically

Welcome to my blog! After the year in Hanoi, Vietnam, as a VSO volunteer, I'm still depending on the assistance of my two faithful neurons for all there is to come. I might decide to keep you informed, you will decide to keep reading.

06 March 2006

Hi everyone again,
so here we are, last friday we celebrated our first week in Hanoi, and things are getting better every day.
When I first read about Viet Nam and about the culture back home, I was surprised (to say the least) by the notion of the Vietnamese being very curious about just about everything, especially about what most Westners view as the most intimate details of one's life, such as age, whether one is married, why aren't they married, and so on...
It took me a week (I know, the neurons were busy studying japanese instead) to get a fairly clear picture of what is really going on. There are about 10 ways of saying hallo to someone in Viet Nam, this depends on the gender and the age of the person you're saying hello to in relation to yourself: not only that, these are all family relations: "em" as in you "little sister" or "anh" as you "little brother" and so on. They are generally curious, but most of all the most sociable and friendly people, because everything happens in and with the community....they need to know everything about you because you are part of that community and will (eventually/hopefully) be seen as part of the family.
We had the opportunity today to listen to a very famous and incredibly charismatic Vietnamese writer today, who summarised in one hour the entire Vietnamese history and the context we are about to get involved in. One point that struck me was how the new "open door policy" (open to foreign markets, etc) was indeed very good for the country's economy, but it is also starting to instill the Western Individualistic philosophy against the Asian Collectivistic "Never alone in your thinking"...a lot of food for thought, but I kinda get the feeling my neurons will go on strike soon, so goodbye, and thanks for your patience as always!

3 Comments:

At 11:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

madonnna, amoure...
che t'è!!
praticamente, ogni volta che saluti ad una persona, stai mezz'ora solo a pensare come devi dirgli"ciao", no?eheheh
ricorda, la pazienza è la virtu' dei forti!!!ehehehhe....as usual...ti vogliamo tanto tanto bene, e statt'accort'
nu' bacio
kate

 
At 1:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohi, patty,
io ti scrivo in italiano, anke se, con un pò di impegno, riesco cmq a capirti.....ah, ahimè, l'inglese è uno dei miei grandi limiti, vabbè scusa piero.......
bacioniiiii

 
At 1:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you made it ok and are settling in well!! I hope you don't miss the Edelstoff too much but I guess you have got used to that already!! As I said in my email, it was not me ignoring youuuuu!! Soooorrrryyy, but my parents were here and were online whilst I was at work!! Anyway, keep the faith and stay safe!

R

 

Post a Comment

<< Home